At the end of December our Baby L turned one, and as December was approaching we were thinking should we throw a party, should we not? Then we decided to throw a small party! The problem is that when you ask a designer to throw a party, no matter how small, you can't expect not to have a party theme, DIY decorations and lots of lists to organise it all!
Off I was to plan it, and after a lot of fun on Pinterest I decided to go for the 'Twinkle Twinkle Little Star' theme. And the colour gold. Because that was the colour of the cake stands I wanted to use, and that's where it all started!
The first thing I did was to design the invitations. Once they were printed and sent that was it, there was excitement - we're having a party, and there was panic - quick, I better get started! So I started sourcing all I needed to make it happen. Have a look at the result!
Here's how I did it:
- As I mentioned the cake stands were my starting point. I spray painted the toppers with black chalk paint and hand wrote on them.
- I baked and decorated the cupcakes on the cake stands (proud moment!) The chocolate cake was from M&S and it was yummy! I ordered the handmade cake topper from Etsy and I couldn't have been happier with the quality.
- I got two glass jars from Ikea, and I added gold wire fairy lights which I ordered from Amazon. I love the effect they added to the table!
- For the backdrop, I ordered double sided gold tissue paper from Amazon. I cut strips on each sheet, you can group them to save some time here. Leaving about 10cm un-cut at the top, I then rolled them, used a hole punch to make a hole at the top. I used twine to string them, and then I hang them on the wall using command hooks, also from Amazon.
- The balloons and gold glitter stars were from my local Hobbycraft, and the table cover and skirt also from Amazon.
- We served lemonade which we mixed with mint leaves and sliced lemon, and plenty of ice. There were sandwiches and snacks, and also a table with food for the little ones!
We were pleased with the results, and the soft play we hired was a hit amongst Baby L's little guests, it seemed they all had a great time! We had a lot of help from friends and family to set all this up in just under an hour (really we only had an hour!). Overall it was a success! Here's the little princess sitting all pretty.
Leave a comment below to tell me what you think :)
And... see'ya in a year Party Prep!
*Click on the links to find the products I used.